My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Courtesy of National Watermelon Promotion Board
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 5 Min.
Chill Time: 3 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 4 1/2 c. pureed watermelon pulp (divided)
+ 1/2 c. sugar (or part Splenda)
+ 1 Tbsp. lavender flowers/leaves (culinary type)
+ 1/8 tsp. salt (or to taste)
+ 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
+ 2 Tbsp. vodka (watermelon or citrus flavor) *this helps to prevent sorbet from setting up too firm
What to do:
1. In a small saucepan over medium high heat, add 1/2 c. watermelon pulp, sugar, lavender and salt. Bring to a slow boil, then simmer for 5 min. Remove from heat and cover for 10 min.
2. Place strainer over a large bowl and pour syrup mixture through, straining out lavender flowers. Add remaining 4 c. watermelon, lemon juice and vodka. Stir until blended.
3. Pour into container, cover, place in freezer. When semi-solid, mash up sorbet with fork and freeze again. When frozen, place sorbet mixture into a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Scoop desired amount into a small bowl or parfait dish, garnish with a small wedge of watermelon and a lavender sprig.
* What better way to get a full serving of fruit than in this delicious sorbet. The watermelon adds vitamin A, vitamin C, and lots of lycopene. The lavender gives it a hint of springtime.
* This is an Elizabeth Somer recipe Courtesy of The National Watermelon Promotion Board