My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Prosciutto and Mushroom-Stuffed Pork Roast with Balsamic Glaze
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 45 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 3 lb. New York (top loin) pork roast
+ 2 Tbsp. butter, OR olive oil
+ 1 c. cremini mushrooms, OR button mushrooms, chopped
+ 1/4 c. onion, OR shallots, finely chopped
+ 1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme, snipped OR 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, snipped
+ 1 c. plain croutons, coarsely crushed
+ 3 oz. prosciutto, chopped
+ 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
+ 2/3 c. balsamic vinegar, plus 1 Tbsp.
+ salt and pepper
What to do:
1. For stuffing, in a large skillet melt butter. Add mushrooms, onion, and thyme; cook until onion is tender. Remove from heat; stir in crushed croutons, prosciutto, cheese, and 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar. Season with pepper. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring remaining balsamic vinegar to boiling. Boil, uncovered, until reduced by half, about 6 min.; remove from heat.
2. Prepare medium-hot banked fire in covered grill or preheat gas to medium-high. Lightly oil grill grate. To butterfly the pork loin, place fat-side down. Make a single lengthwise cut down the center of the pork, cutting to within 1/2 in. of the bottom side. Spread open. Make another lengthwise slit to the right of the first cut and a third slit to the left. Cover pork with clear plastic wrap. Pound with a meat mallet to even thickness, about 3/4 in. Remove plastic wrap.
3. Spread stuffing onto pork, leaving a 3/4-in. border. Starting from a long side, roll the pork and stuffing jelly-roll style. Tightly and evenly retie meat with butcher's twine or cotton kitchen string at 2-in. intervals. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Grill pork, fat-side up, over indirect heat, away from the fire until internal temperature on a thermometer reads between 145°F. (medium rare) and 160°F. (medium)--start checking the temperature at 45-50 min.-- brushing with reduced balsamic twice during last 10 min. of grilling. Remove pork from heat; let rest about 10 min. To serve, remove twine and cut pork into slices, about 3/4-in. thick.
* To roast in lieu of grilling: Prepare and stuff pork loin as directed. Preheat oven to 325°F. Place stuffed roast, fat-side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Roast,
uncovered, until internal temperature on a thermometer reads between 145°F. (medium rare) and 160°F. (medium), about 50-60 min., brushing with reduced balsamic twice during last 10 min. of roasting. Let rest about 10 min. and slice as directed above.
* Add color to your plate with a side of steamed green beans tossed with butter and a squeeze of lemon. These delicious stuffed pork slices would also be fabulous served over soft polenta made with a little grated Parmesan and cracked black pepper. If roasting the loin, consider adding chunks of sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, and/or parsnips and onion wedges to the roasting pan with the roast.
* You do not need to trim the fat from the pork roast; it will add flavor and keep the roast moist. When inserting the thermometer, make sure it is inserted in the pork and not the stuffing.
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit:
Calories: 330; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 105mg; Total Carbs: 6g; Fiber: 0g; Protein: 34g; Sodium: 430mg;