My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Golden Fried Florida Mullet with Cabbage and Citrus Slaw
Courtesy of Florida Agriculture Bureau of Seafood & Aquaculture
Prep Time: 10 Min.
Cook Time: 5 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 4 6-oz. mullet fillets
+ canola oil for frying
+ 1 large egg
+ 1 tsp. water
+ 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
+ 1/2 c. cornmeal
+ 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
+ 1/2 tsp. salt
+ 1/2 tsp. pepper
+ 2 lemons, sliced for garnish
+ Cabbage and Citrus Slaw (see below)
What to do:
1. Heat oil to 375°F in deep fryer or deep saucepan. Whisk together egg and water in a shallow dish. Combine flour, cornmeal, cayenne, salt and pepper; mix well.
2. Dip fillets into egg wash then into flour mixture to coat. Deep fry fish in hot oil for 4-5 min. until fish is golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and serve with lemon slices and Cabbage and Citrus Slaw.
Cabbage and Citrus Slaw
* 1/2 large head cabbage, shredded fine
* 2 oranges, segmented
* 1 grapefruit, segmented
* 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
* 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced thin
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 2 lemons, juiced
* sea salt to taste
* fresh ground pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, mix well and let marinate in refrigerator for an hour.
2. Taste slaw and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve chilled.
* Recipe Courtesy of Florida Department of Agriculture Bureau of Seafood and Aquaculture.