My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Black Bean and Chorizo Soup
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 35 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 Tbsp. canola oil (15 mL)
+ 1/2 onion, cubed
+ 1 clove garlic, minced
+ 1 tomato, deseeded and chopped
+ 1 ancho chile, seeded, soaked in hot water
+ 1 pasilla pepper, seeded, soaked in hot water
+ 1 (19 oz./540 mL) can black beans
+ 1 bouquet garni (1 Tbsp./15 mL each dried cilantro, oregano, marjoram wrapped in cheesecloth)
+ 1 lime, halved
+ 4 c. chicken broth (1 L)
+ 2 Tbsp. mezcal or tequila (30 mL)
+ salt to taste
+ 6 Tbsp. chorizo, fried and crumbled (90 mL)
+ 6 Tbsp. low-fat buttermilk (90 mL)
What to do:
1. In deep pan or pot, heat canola oil at high heat and add onion. Sauté until brown and add garlic. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in tomato and peppers. Cook 15 min., stirring constantly to avoid burning.
2. Combine black beans, bouquet garni, limes and broth with mixture. Cook 5 min. Add mezcal or tequila, salt and discard lime halves and herbs. Cook 10 min. Blend and season to taste.
3. Garnish with buttermilk and chorizo.
*Bouquet garni is a bundle of herbs used to prepare soup, stock and various stews. The bouquet
is boiled with other ingredients, but removed prior to consumption. To make the bouquet, use 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) each of dried cilantro, oregano and marjoram and place in cheesecloth to form a bundle.
* If too thick, add more broth to this preparation.
Yields: 10 servings. 1/2 c. (125 mL) servings.
* Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.
Calories: 180; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 10mg; Total Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 10g; Sodium: 310mg;