My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Beef Tenderloin with Balsamic-Coffee Sauce
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 16 Min.
Chill Time: 15 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 3/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper (4 mL)
+ 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (2 mL)
+ 1/2 tsp. onion powder (2 mL)
+ 1/2 tsp. salt (2 mL)
+ 4 beef tenderloin steaks (5 oz/140) g each), about 1-in. ( 2.5 cm) thick
+ 2 Tbsp. canola oil (30 mL)
+ 4 large shallots, peeled and finely chopped
+ 6 oz./170 g sliced portabella mushrooms
+ 3/4 c. strong coffee (175 mL)
+ 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar (60 mL)
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 200°F (400°C). In small bowl, combine black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt. Sprinkle both sides of steaks with spice mixture, pressing down with fingertips to adhere. Set aside. Let stand for 15 min.
2. Heat 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) canola oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook steaks 4 min., turn and cook 2-4 min. longer or until desired doneness. Place steaks on separate plate and place in oven to keep warm.
3. Add remaining 1 Tbsp. canola oil to pan residue in skillet, cook shallots 15 sec., stirring constantly. Add mushrooms and cook 3 min. or until tender, stirring frequently, using two utensils as you would with stir-fry. Spoon equal amounts over beef and return to oven to keep warm.
4. To skillet, add coffee, vinegar and remaining 1/4 tsp. (1 mL) salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, continue to boil 4 or so min. or until reduced to 1/4 c. (60 mL). Spoon over all and top with additional coarsely ground black pepper, if desired.
* Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.
Calories: 170; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Total Carbs: 15g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 10g; Sodium: 320mg;